23 February 2011

What I am reading now: Crystal Rain

Currently, I am reading a book entitled Crystal Rain by Tobias S. Buckell.  It is the first book in a series, which I've already read two of the subsequent books--Sly Mongoose and Ragamuffin.  I read Sly Mongoose first--which is at least the third installation in the series--and it is my favorite so far.  All three of the books more or less revolve around a man named Pepper.  We follow Pepper, and any other character, through their trials to free and keep free humanity.  What I really like about this series is that it involves a diverse character cast---with the main character often being brown/black.  I love this!  It is no secret that brown/black characters are often not represented in scifi/fantasy novels--and I for one have always struggled with this.  While I love these genre's, I always wished that they included a more diverse cast--brown, black, and even yellow.  Tobias Buckell, who appears to be white but raised in the Caribbean, has done this.  I recommend this series for anyone who is looking for a new and refreshing take on the scifi genre.



No comments:

Post a Comment