23 February 2011

My "Dear John" letter to Final Fantasy.

As I sit here in my chair at my Auntie's house, I am seriously wondering "What happened to the Final Fantasy series?"  As anyone within a hundred yard radius of me may know, I love (or loved) the Final Fantasy series.  Like many, I was a late bloomer; I didn't start playing the series until FF7--one of the greatest rpg's and games of all time!  I could not get enough of Cloud or Sephiroth (both of who I had major crushes on); and I cried when Aerith died.  Then FF8 came out, and I adored it just as well.  Then FF9, which I also loved, but most people underrate; and FF10 everyone agrees was epic!  But after that, everything went down hill.  FFX-2 was horrible, and I never finished it; although, I tried to twice.  Squarsoft effed up by putting FF11 on pc (in my opinion, although people played it like crazy so I guess it was a good move even if it did alienate me a bit.)  After all this failure, imagine my enthusiasm when I learned about FF12 coming back to the PS2!  I needed it more than I needed air; however, when I played it, it was more like sulfuric acid.  The game was a snore.  My main gripe being the way that one traveled through the land.  I didn't feel connected to it.  I felt alienated, again.  But did I loose all hope?  NO!!!  I waited for FF13 with open arms, feeling that Squaresoft had finally gotten it right, especially with a woman as the lead character!  And how did it turn out?! Waah wahhh.....a joke.  I can't get through this game.  I give.  I feel like FF has run out of steam.  It feels like giving up on a boyfriend that you have dated forever, but the love is no longer there.  And with these words I may regrettably be saying good-bye to FF.  However, one cannot say that I won't be coming back for a fling or even a marriage later on.  It's just for now we need our time apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment