01 January 2011

Spider-Girl #2 and Batman: Dark Knight #1

So I made my stop by my comic book store (Big Ups to Metrolpolis Comix) and picked up Spider-Girl #2 and Batman: Dark Knight #1, and let me say I am not disappointed!  Let’s start with Spider-Girl #2.  Last month I considered subscribing to this series, but I was on the fence.  I had heard that it was going to be an excellent, mind blowing series, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to start collecting marvel comics again.  I sat in the comic store, scanned the first issue, and had it put in my subscription box at my local comic book store in case I wanted to purchase it.  It was left sitting there for at least 3 weeks.  When I went back in to pick up my usual (Wonder Woman and Batman Inc.) Spider Girl was waiting for me.  I took this as a sign of fate and decided to purchase it–and thank God/Kami/Buddha/Allah that I did!  I was instantly hooked.



In this new series, Spider Girl no longer has her powers; so she basically is just kicking ass on her own superior athletic ability.  One of the neat things about the comics is that she relates her adventures via tweet/some type of tweet like service.  It really makes the comic relatable and modern.
I also added Batman: Dark Knight to my subscription.  The artwork is good, and the story line seems to focus on Bruce being back in Gotham trying to locate an old friend/flame?  Where the story line is going is hard to tell, but so far it looks to be promising.
I dropped Batman Incorporated from my subscription after purchasing two issues.  I would like to say it was the story line that was too dull, but to be honest, I think that I just could not get past the artwork.  It really bugged the shit out of me.  It was just not aesthetically appealing to me.  I know its a shallow reason to drop a comic, but hey, I’m known to be shallow from time to time.
I also got a taste of my current wish list.  Walking Dead and Y: The Last Man.  I think I will be asking for something for my b’day.

No comments:

Post a Comment