29 September 2012

Mercedes Lackey: Why have I been sleeping on you!!!?

Okay. Okay. So, a long time ago a friend and I were discussing fantasy novels and eventually came across the topic of fantasy novels.  He brought up Mercedes Lackey and when I told him that I had never read any of her work, he looked at me as if I had just killed his childhood pet.  Apparently it is a sin in the book community to never have read any of Lackey's work.  

Fast-forwarding to the future: I picked up one of Lackey's books from my volunteer position at the library den and decided to give it a read. OMBuddha!!!  What possibly could I have been thinking!  I now see why her books are a definite fantasy lover must have. 

First, I read Vows and Honors which contains the books The Oath Bound and Oathbreakers.  I am not going to give a word for word review of these books I will just say that they were magical.  I could barely put them down and finished them rather quickly.  If you do happen to read these books, you will pick up on a feminist them that runs strongly throughout this book (and to a slightly lesser extent int he Arrows of the Queen books.)



I then moved on to the books that my friend from times past let me borrow: Arrows of the Queen, Arrow's Flight, and Arrow's Fall.  Let me tell you!  The end of this trilogy had me in tears.  IN TEARS!  This is a fabulous trilogy and you can come to care for all of the characters.  It really is touching.  If I had only one neg critic, it would be that I wished that there was some omni-powerful overall villain. But other than that, these books are fabulous!




No comments:

Post a Comment