02 May 2012

"For More Than Glore" by William C. Dietz

I just finished another book by one of my favorite authors--William C. Dietz.  It was good, but I did it find it disenhartening that while Dietz introduces a new main character to the mix, he has just followed the same formula that he did with Booly in previous novels.  *Potential light spoilers* Big, burly soldiers with above perfect morality, loyalty, and comeradity is at a rank far below his skills because his morality has put him at odds with a corrupt and imperfect system.  He finds himself in a situation where his men respect him, and almost every key battle must be won by him.  While saving the day, he meets a lovely and fiery woman who is rich and well-connected beyond comprehension, in a class well above his own.  They are initially at odds with one another but eventually the laws of attraction kick in and they become an item at the end of the day.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dietz and his novels, but I would have liked to see a different story line being played out.  If there was a need for romance, and I am not against it, I would have loved to see maybe two soldiers fall in love with one another rather than a well connected rich woman and a lowly soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment